Based on lore received from Lady Etipdorpha and many others over the past 4 decades.
Begin with a large pan of water and bring it to a boil.
Add any or all of the following to the water as it comes to a boil (if you don’t have the ingredients in this form, substitute 1 teaspoon of ground herb/spice, or a few drops of the essential oil of the same):
- 3 Whole Cloves– (protection, to attract prosperity, drive away negativity and hostility.)
- 3 Star Anise pods – (good luck and purification.)
- 2 Cardamom pods – (love and respect.)
- 1 Cinnamon stick – (attract prosperity.)
- 1 teaspoon of Rue – (bring peaceful vibrations or remove a jinx, protection against evil eye, healing, health, love.)
- Chamomile (handful) – (peace, love, tranquility and purification.)
- Chrysanthemum (handful) – (truth, honesty and protection against unwanted/negative spirits
Strain this into a mop bucket or similar container, and add
- Spic and Span powder cleanser (see edits below!!) in equal amount with Kosher or sea salt to water as the directions on the box of Spic’n’Span;
- add ¼ cup Blessed thistle (herb of protection, and bestows spiritual, physical and financial blessings.)
- add ¼ cup Mint (any variety, but I’m partial to peppermint, wintermint or even catmint for this). (cleansing, consecration, dreams, happiness, healing, love, money, passion, prosperity, protection, psychic development, purification, release, renewal, rest, sleep, energy, exorcism, good luck, spirit offering, success.)
Mop all the floors, wash all the mirrors, windows & doors/doorways (internal and external doors) and counter tops in all rooms.
For carpeted surfaces, you can put the water mixture into a spray bottle and lightly spary the carpets (DO NOT OVER WET THE CARPETS – YOU DO NOT WANT MOLDY CARPET!!) Allow them to dry and then vacuum well.
Burn some pleasant incense or sage/sweetgrass.
Rinse all surfaces previously washed/mopped with fresh water to which has been added ¼ cup white vinegar (and a little Cascarilla Powder*, if you have it and want to include it).
Repeat as needed. (I really suggest quarterly, but if annually is what you have the spoons for…)
And pour salt water down the drains! all of the drains! if there are drains you can see but can’t get to (which happens), then you can do this by flicking the salt water in that general direction with feeling – “Bad Things GO AWAY!” Also remember that drains include toilets…
~Helpful Hint~ Keep a mixture of the herbs and spices in a large brown jar with the Spic and Span already added so you always have it ready when needed!
- Cascarilla Powder is well dried, finely powdered white eggshell. Dry white eggshells in a low heat oven for an hour or so – do not let the shells turn brown!! (or freeze them, either way works.) Grind them as finely as you can with a mortar and pestle or herb grinder that has been well cleaned and store in a moisture-proof container until you need to use it. You can also find it at Hoodoo or Botanicas or other stores selling to Santeria or other African Diaspora Religions. It has become popular with some Neopagan and new age practitioners, and wasn’t part of the original recipes for this particular recipe, although I have seen it mentioned frequently in more recent versions of house cleansing, hence its mention here.
Edited 13 Dec 2015 to add: You know it’s been a long time since you made this recipe when you didn’t realize that Spic’n’Span now came in a spray formula… if you can find it, you want to use the powder version, not the spray. I’m going to have to experiment around with this to see how the spray works with it.
Edited 2 April 2016: Okay, the liquid reformulation is not suitable for our purposes here. You will want to find the Proctor and Gamble version of Spic and Span POWDER -=- NOT “Spic’n’Span” -=- probably in the janitorial supplies section or online. it will look something like this:
Major retailers such as KMart, WalMart and Sears apper to carry a version of it online; you do not want the “SunFresh” or other scented version, you want plain, unscented if at all possible. It should run between $5 – $15 or so depending on size and vendor and whether you find in in a physical store or order it online.